Thursday, November 5, 2009


A year ago today (November 5th) it was a Wednesday. I went to work like I usually did. It was a carpool day with John -- I liked those days. I didn't have to drive; the commute was quicker; and it was time with John.... I remember what I was wearing, because it was one of my new maternity outfits. I had bought it a couple of weeks before, and I was trying to dress a little nicer that day because we were going to my cousin's reception on our way home from work.... At my doctor's appointment two or three weeks before everything was looking good, and he said I was now into the quiet part of pregnancy.

I had been battling a bad cold the days for a while, but I was beginning to sort of get over it. I should have probably used some sick days, but I was saving the few I had for maternity leave. (I came really close that Monday.) I remember my stomach feeling a little tight that day, but nothing that kept me from working -- and I had heard multiple times about the way you feel when pregnant. I was tired, but who isn't when you are pregnant.

I don't remember much about the school day, except for telling my second graders that I would see them tomorrow. I know that afterschool I was organizing reading records into a binder. I also recall having a cell phone conversation with a long-time friend (since YW days)
.... John picked me up and we were off to the reception. I was tired, but it was a free meal, and I enjoy seeing my family. We posed with some family members for pictures at our table, including probably one of my last with my grandpa (as he fell shortly after Abigail's birth, and passed away just before she came home). We didn't stay long, but we got sympathy -- I must have looked really tired and worn out.

We didn't do much when we got home. I remember secretly ordering a Lego Holiday Train Set with the help of John's sister -- a surprise that John loved.... Somewhere around 10 or so we were upstairs reading our scriptures - when I suddenly felt a sensation I had not felt before. I went to the bathroom, but didn't see any blood -- thought that was all I needed to look for. We finished getting ready for bed and went to sleep.

I don't remember when or how many times I felt that sensation again, but at about one-something I awoke with being somewhat wet. I woke John up, who almost immediately went to the computer and was researching symptoms. We made calls to parents, my friend that is a nurse, and the doctor. I was starting to feel a little achy now, and occasionally getting the chills.

It was off to the hospital. John thought it was funny that I was in shorts and grabbing a blanket (instead of just wearing pants), but the shorts were comfortable. I called my cousin, a teacher, to see if she could sub for me. She was subbing at the time, waiting for her little one to come -- we had the same due date.

We got into the hospital pretty fast, and it didn't take long to determine it was amniotic fluid. I was put on magnesium, and we started a waiting game. I was told I would not be going home until this baby was born - which could be in hours, but hopefully weeks. Our parents soon arrived (We' ve become good at keeping them up at night), and John and my dad gave me a priesthood blessing. I don't remember much, except being blessed to have patience with what would be happening -- words I would work hard to remember the next few months, but yet also rely on. I also remember feeling at peace, a blessing I also felt in the miscarriage. Whatever was happening was supposed to be happening.

We were transferred to a labor and delivery room until labor stopped. My cousin arrived around 5:30 to talk about school. Our parents eventually went home, and John left mid-day to get a shower and stuff. A friend came by with a basket of goodies to keep me busy and a Jamba Juice - which I loved. My hospital meal wasn't appealing to me. (Later, my food was just fine, but that time it wasn't.) I couldn't do much, as I was hooked up to multiple machines and monitors. Going to the restroom was a chore, and it seemed frequent -- seeming as how I was being pumped with fluids.

It was sometime in the afternoon of the 6th that I was moved to an antepartum room -- with hopes of keeping my baby inside for awhile longer.

The one belly shot I got -- the Sunday before, about 24 weeks (besides an early one back in August)

Here we are hanging out in the first labor and delivery room.


the weird neills said...

Thanks for posting your story as it unfolds a year later. You are such a strong person, Kim. I have alwaysk admired your testimony and faith in God and His plan. Abigail is so blessed to have you for a mother.

Susan said...

I remember when you called me and this was all going on, at first I thought you were joking I mean that week couldnt have gotten an worse for us.... And then you were serious and I wasnt sure how to be a good friend cause I knew the odds where risky for you and I remember getting off the phone praying for you cause i knew your hopes of a family would be crushed after the miscarriage and if anything happened to Abby. Still to this day I have told some people about you and they are in awe that abby is so well and healthy and just adorable. Not what you wanted to go through, but a year later life couldnt be better!!!!