Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What's a CPAP?

Sorry - I have had multiple people ask what I am talking about as I am excited for Abby to be on a CPAP.... I read the tag by her bed. It looks like it stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure.... It was pretty much explained to me like this: The ventilator pretty much did Abby's breathing for her, and she could take a breath when she felt like it. The CPAP is putting pressure to her lungs to help her do the breathing. I was told it is kind of giving the initial puff of air -like the one you first give into a balloon to blow it up. That first puff can be difficult to get the balloon opened.... The CPAP is helping keep pressure in Abby's lungs to make it easier for her as she learns to pump her lungs.

For a little bit she was receiving some back-up breaths as she got used to her new task, but she has out grown that now. The next steps will be high-flow oxygen to low-flow oxygen to breathing on her own.... There is no time frame for when all of this happens; it just depends on how Abby responds.

1 comment:

Terina said...

I dont know if I asked but I was wondering that! That is a very exciting step then! Way to go Abby!